“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17 – NIV) Today, I launch a new clergy collegial blog. I hope we will encourage and empower each other toward success and excellence in pastoral ministry. As I sit in the Pastor’s Study at Cambria Heights Community Church, I often ponder the possible feedback of clergy colleagues as it relates to preparing sermons, counseling in particularly difficult situation, designing fresh worship, balancing competing priorities of ministry, marriage and family, maintaining self-care, pursuing personal dreams and private interests outside of ministry and family, and finding resources to meet the ever evolving and changing needs of the people whom I serve. After a sustained period of prayer, reflection and meditation, I realize I can invite you to come “In The Pastor’s Study” for an exchange of ideas.

Friday, August 21, 2026

Meditations Upon Faith - Romans 4:16-24

 

Meditations Upon Faith – Romans 4:16-24

 

Faith is an unwavering, unconditional and unequivocal belief in God’s ability to favorably orchestrate minute details in human affairs. It allows that God, the Creator of the universe and Maker of heaven and Earth, elects within His sovereign will to suspend the laws of nature and alter human affairs to achieve His will. Notwithstanding regimens and protocols of Eastern and Western medicine and science, Almighty God, exercising His sovereign prerogative, chooses to supernaturally heal someone of myriad diseases to accomplish His will. He may miraculously grant a pregnancy to a woman as a gift to humankind. That child may be a divine agent with a unique mission. Interestingly, that child could become God’s vessel to cure HIV/AIDS or some other debilitating disease. He may be an activist, reformer, researcher or visionary who possesses abilities to contribute significantly to the betterment of the global community.

 

Consider the faith of Abraham upon which Paul discourses in the fourth chapter of the book of Romans. Abraham believes God is able to accomplish the promise of a natural heir that He makes to Abraham and Sarah. To bless humankind through His chosen people, God blesses Sarah’s womb though Abrahma is one hundred years of age and Sarah is ten years younger. Biologically and physiologically, the birth of Isaac is an impossibility. Only a miracle could accomplish this feat. Immediately, images of Hollywood special effects and science fiction come to mind. Paranormal approaches may have some value. In Aristotle’s literary technique, “Deus et machina,” an author forcibly invokes divine intervention and sovereign powers when he exhausts his options. In the Ancient Near East, none of these options were available to Abraham and Sarah. Accordingly, Abraham unwaveringly puts his faith and trust in Almighty God.

 

The text records that Abraham does not waver in his faith but unquestionably believes God can do what He promises. Abraham does not question God’s authority or ability to fulfill His promise. In fact, Abraham remains “fully persuaded” that God’s capability, capacity and character will yield fulfillment of His promise. Abraham trust that God would faithfully adhere to the covenant which God initiates in the twelfth chapter of Genesis. God’s makes an oath based on His holy and unblemished character. Almighty God will not violate His word. God’s character and intrinsic attributes compel Him to faithfully and perfectly fulfill His word. Relying upon his relational and experiential knowledge of God, Abraham unsurprisingly depends upon God to keep His promise of the gift of a natural heir.

 

Consider pragmatic dimensions of faith. Abraham matures in faith as he practices spiritual disciplines. He learns to trust God as Abraham rightly relates to God. This relational knowledge empowers Abraham to genuinely rely upon God though scientific facts, reason and human experience combine to negate any possibility that God can perform this miracle. Wholeheartedly, Abraham desires an heir from his own loins and from his beloved wife, Sarah. In communing with God, Abraham learns God’s character. Prayer and meditation are essential spiritual tools; necessary to develop disciples’ faith and spirituality. Often, disciples rush into prayer with a grocery list of concerns, challenges and personal desires. They want God to remove all obstacles in their paths. In contrast, they might ask God how He may mysteriously and majestically utilize their problems to glorify Himself. What if they were to ask God for insight into how He orchestrates their spiritual development and personal growth amid daily challenges and trials. Envision approaching the throne of God and asking how to transform personal complaints into concrete building blocks of Christ like character. Moreover, try being still and listening to the voice of God. Silence is a powerful form of prayer. Interestingly, if disciples are silent, the Holy Spirit will guide them about what to pray.

 

In Romans 8, Paul instructs the church that the Spirit directs us because we do not know what to say. As disciples mature, they are less interested in personal dreams, ambitions and goals. They focus more upon acquiring the Lord’s heart, mind  and character and expanding Christ’s kingdom. They desire a legacy wherein they deposited His unfailing love within the hearts of other people. They genuinely seek His will and strive to accomplish His purposes. Disciples pray for wisdom and power to become vessels of His love, messengers of His grace, channels of His peace and instruments of His will. In meditation, God’s voice teaches us to patiently wait for the revelation of the Lord’s will. A Christian sister once lost her job amidst a company’s downsizing. Her employer told her on a Friday morning that her job had been eliminated. To the human resources department’s utter surprise, she calmly accepted their decision and accompanying severance package. Upon returning to her desk and sharing with her fellow employees that she lost her job, she faithfully remarked, “I wonder what God is up to?” Her serene acceptance emerged from many years of trusting and genuinely relying on Almighty God in every situation. Her stalwart faith stemmed from years of listening to Him.

 

The exact words that we use in prayer are extremely important. It is significant to ask what you want. I would like to share two instructive examples. First, I recall praying and affirming daily for a period of four late spring and summer months that I would “be in a classroom in the fall.” Wholeheartedly, I sought to return to teaching. I had been working in sales for approximately two years when I began to offer that prayer. Almighty God graciously answered my prayer. That fall, I returned to teaching Global History, Human Geography and Development and Senior Religion. Within six months, my employment at that school was terminated suddenly, unexpectedly and shockingly. I did not foresee being fired. I will not share the reasons that the principal gave or my responses. The administrators simply decided irreversibly to end my employment. Nothing that I said could have made any difference. They resolved it was the right course of action. Upon further reflection, I realized that my initial prayer and affirmation were incomplete and inadequate. I retrospectively wished that I had asked to be placed in the classroom that was right for me within God’s perfect design and grace. Yes, God granted my prayer. I confidently walked into a classroom that fall but I did not walk into a classroom suitable to my personality, standards, gifts and abilities. Issues of classroom management and student recalcitrance among other contributing factors made it untenable for me to remain. Had I been paired more closely with a learning community that shared my vision of education, I imagine a different outcome. In adding the words relating to God’s perfect grace, I acknowledge God’s divine plan and sovereignty which are overarching in the life of any disciple.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment