“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17 – NIV) Today, I launch a new clergy collegial blog. I hope we will encourage and empower each other toward success and excellence in pastoral ministry. As I sit in the Pastor’s Study at Cambria Heights Community Church, I often ponder the possible feedback of clergy colleagues as it relates to preparing sermons, counseling in particularly difficult situation, designing fresh worship, balancing competing priorities of ministry, marriage and family, maintaining self-care, pursuing personal dreams and private interests outside of ministry and family, and finding resources to meet the ever evolving and changing needs of the people whom I serve. After a sustained period of prayer, reflection and meditation, I realize I can invite you to come “In The Pastor’s Study” for an exchange of ideas.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pastoral Musings: The Meditations of My Heart - Part II


Pastoral Musings 
The Meditations of My Heart - Part II


We waste immeasurable mental and emotional energy considering the thoughts of countless nameless and insignificant people.  The Deacon further said, “It takes two people to make a marriage work.  When the two of you are satisfied, then you are successful in your marriage.  In the twenty years of our relationship and eighteen years of our marriage, my wife and I continually concur with “Deac’s sage outlook.”  His counsel exceeds the worth of innumerable books offering the keys to successful and fruitful marriage.  Respect, trust and communication are three foundational pillars of any meaningful and vibrant relationship.  Should any of these three factors begin to diminish, it is only a matter of time before the relationship suffers severe harm or even severs.  Moreover, the Deacon’s thoughts suggest acceptance which is the fourth pillar.  Persons who enjoy the existential riches and experiential rewards of long-term relationships whether personal or professional learn to accept people as they are.   Waiting for people to change in the ways in which you think best results in dissolution of relationships.  People rarely change; usually a major life crisis coerces changes in character and behavior.  Even when absolutely necessary, many people resist the challenges that accompany change.  The familiarity of a known pathology seems preferable to the potential benefits of a healthy but uncertain future.  Nevertheless, acceptance eradicates fallacious demands for change to satisfy self-centered fears and self-seeking motives.  Acceptance of another person is not synonymous with ignoring their character defects and incapacities.  It is a willingness to love and respect their personhood as they grow spiritually and develop personally however glacially.  Acceptance allows people to become the very best children of God of which they are capable notwithstanding their defects of character and internal weaknesses.  As a husband and wife extend such graciousness and generosity to each other, they undoubtedly will grow together over a long period of time.  At a coffee hour nearly two decades ago, a Deacon in a Baptist church shared with me one of the essential attributes in a long-term relationship and marriage within his musings about breakfast.

Being at odds with various congregants is very disheartening for a pastor.  As servant leaders in the Church, clergy have a profound inner need to be needed and appreciated.  When the people whom you are called to serve appear indifferent to your labors of love, it genuinely hurts.  One response to this pain is to appease your naysayers with the hope they will learn to like you if not even begin to love you.  However, resentment builds slowly but forcibly when you curry favor with people.  Interestingly, this resentment is mutual as you disdain them for having to compromise yourself and they disparage you for a lack of self-respect.  Honesty and integrity are the most effective remedies to this dilemma.  Increasing during the quarter of a century that I have served in ordained ministry, I am of the opinion that people like you or they do not.  There is very little if any control you may have over people’s opinions of you.  In fact, a friend of mine recently reminded me over breakfast at our favorite diner, “Other people’s opinion of you is not your business.  Besides, you will not be able to establish worthwhile relationships with everyone in your congregation.”  Accordingly, “To thine own self be true.” 

Detaching emotionally and refusing to personalize every incident is necessary to maintain a healthy and balances perspective in relationships.  As a pastor, it is easy to take offense regarding each breach of protocol or lapse of procedure.  Do young adult choir members understand their behavior when they arrive five minutes before singing and then leave the sanctuary as you rise to ascend the rostrum and preach?  Do the most vocal members of the church see the inconsistency between their protestations and their protracted lack of service and giving?  Do congregants see the ethical and spiritual problems with making decisions about the use of the Church’s financial resources when you do not contribute?  What about leaders who rarely attend weekly worship services, do not come to Sunday School, and are always absent from Bible study and prayer meeting?  Moreover, how do you respond to persons who blatantly insult your intelligence but act as if they have not?  More frustrating are the people who observe these insults but fail to say anything.  Once, a congregant call to inform me that I was not doing my job.  She based her assessment of my performance on the “what she had been hearing from multiple persons who she trusts and believes.”  This woman has not been present in worship for nearly a year.  Nonetheless, when I offered her evidence to contradict the rumors and innuendoes she heard, she flatly refuse to consider it.  Rather, she insisted she would believe what she has heard as she trusts the persons with whom she had been speaking.  Should I personalize these circumstances, I would easily and quickly become a bitter, cynical and ineffective pastor.

Anger usually fuels over-personalizing situations that do not warrant the fierce emotions.  As a consequence, you are prone to say and do things that ultimately undermine you.  Years ago, I cultivated a “twenty-four hours rule” relating to anger.  If I became incensed by something someone had said or did, I would withhold my anger internally.  I strove for restraint of pen and tongue.  The passage of a full day enabled me to distill my authentic emotions thereby protecting me from melodrama and megalomania.  If I were still angry, I had a better perspective on actual details and practical reality instead of a view clouded by my gall to extract revenge for the insult to which I was convinced I had been subjected.  This practice enduringly serves me well as I am not caught in the crossfires of miscommunication and misinterpretation when I withdraw and distance myself from blazing feelings.  Simply put, I am cultivating a cruise control within my mind, heart and character to depersonalize each situation.  As I develop this spiritual discipline, I am better able serve the needs of congregants.

No comments:

Post a Comment